If you’ve followed our blog for a while, then you know that we talk about maintenance a good deal. This is because of how important this service is. Many homeowners think this is actually a “luxury” service only for those who can afford it. However, air conditioning maintenance is a necessity if you want an air conditioner that performs as it should.
Maintenance tune-ups help our professional spot small system problems before they grown into much bigger ones. This helps your system operate smoother and last longer, which is good news for your budget. But, what actually happens during this service? Read on to discover what you are really paying for!
Professional Air Conditioning Maintenance
When it comes to air conditioning tune-ups, the service should only ever be completed by trained and experienced professionals. There are, though, a couple tasks that you can (and should) do on your own. That is, change your HVAC air filter every 1-3 months and clean the area surrounding your air conditioner’s outside unit.
Doing both of these tasks helps ensure that there is proper airflow and that your air conditioner can continue to operate as well as possible. As for the rest of your maintenance, here’s what our pros handle:
- We check your evaporator and condenser coils to make sure they are unobstructed, clean, and able to absorb and release heat effectively.
- We look at the refrigerant level. Dishonest “professionals” may tell you that it needs to be refilled on a routine basis. But the truth is, if that’s the case then it means you have a leak. Once the source of the leak is repaired, you should not need continual recharges (refills).
- We check on and tighten electrical components wherever necessary.
- We clean the condensate drain and pan so that the moisture from the evaporator coils does not overflow them.
- We clean and lubricate the fan and compressor motors to prevent mechanical stress that could otherwise lead to these motors burning out.
- We check the thermostat and ensure that it is correctly reading the temperature, and we recalibrate the component if not.
- We replace or clean the air filter if needed. As we said above, this is a task you can and should do on your own. But it’s still something we check on for you.
Why This Service Is So Vital
Without air conditioning maintenance, your air conditioner and home can suffer from:
- Inefficient AC Operation: Every year you go without air conditioning maintenance, the system’s efficiency level drops about 5%. This means in just a few years, the system can cost more to run than it should.
- Increased Repair Needs: We estimate that about 85% of the repairs that a system may need over its lifetime are actually avoidable, if your air conditioner has routine maintenance done on it.
- Shortened Lifespan: A well-maintained air conditioner has less wear and tear put on it. Skipping maintenance means exacerbating wear and tear and potentially cutting your system’s expected lifespan by half.
Reach out to Comfort First Heating and Cooling, Inc. today for professional air conditioning maintenance in Joliet, IL.